- 6 10 ounce Bison rib steaks
- Salt & freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots or green onions
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons green peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 1/2 cup plus 5 tablespoons Jack Daniels or other high quality bourbon
- 1/2 heavy cream (optional)
- drops of fresh lemon juice
- Season bison steaks with salt & pepper to taste and let them rest for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Make sauce: in a saucepan, saute shallots and mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter until golden brown. Add stock, wine, 1/2 cup bourbon, 1 tablespoon of peppercorns, reduce over medium heat by half. Add cream and reduce to a light sauce consistency. Whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons butter little by little. Add remaining 1 tablespoon peppercorns, 5 tabkespoons bourbon and lemon juice to taste, keep warm.
- Saute bison steaks in butter until medium rare, 2-3 minutes per side. Serve with sauce.